This post shall be applicable to the interns who are following or seeking internship as a computer programmer. It takes huge effort and experience to become a good programmer but practicing small habits can bring a great change in course of time. However, I would like to make few suggestions which can help you to become a better programmer. Please find 10 tips to get better at programming as below.
1) Contributing to an open source project is a learning endeavor. It requires you to adhere to strict coding practices and writing testable code. You will have an opportunity to learn from other’s code. Also, it gives you a sense of fulfillment as your contribution will be used by others to build great products.
2) Writing blogs will help you to formulate your understanding. If you are not fully clear about innards of any concept, while writing a blog about them, you would need to do the in-depth study which will help you to broaden your knowledge set. Furthermore, comments from readers can help you to correct your mistakes or flaw in understanding in your article
3) Be a power user of your programming tools, be it sublime or Emacs or vim or any other. It will save lots of man hours.
4) Don’t count on numbers of the hour you have worked. Hours worked is a useless metrics, instead, focus on how much you have achieved.
5) Be willing to take massive criticism willingly. Criticism is the only way to improve.
6) If possible pair program with experienced programmers.
7) Do code review periodically.
8) It may sound weird but you must be able to write bad code. Under certain circumstances, it is more important to deliver product rather than writing pretty code.
9) It may sound cliched, but you have to move fast and break things
10) Don’t get religiously obsessed with any tools, technologies or languages. Use them as a utility to achieve your objective.
I’d like you to practice on the points mentioned above so as to get better at computer language programming. Even though this post is targeted to computer programmers, other interns can also follow some of the points such as contributing others project, writing blogs, reviewing completed task etc and succeed your internship remarkably. If you have any other suggestion beside the above 10 tips to get better at programming please do mention in the comment section below. Have a nice day ahead.